Fact Sheet 2: BRE ‘Site Layout Planning for Daylight and Sunlight’
This fact sheet describes the tests used by Local Authorities when deciding over planning applications.
The following tests are covered:
Daylight to Windows
- Vertical Sky Component (VSC)
- Daylight Distribution / No Sky Line
- Average Daylight Factor (ADF)
- Room Depth
Sunlight to Windows
- Annual Probable Sunlight Hours (APSH)
- Overshadowing to Gardens and Open Spaces
The tests described in this fact sheet originate from the Building Research Establishment (BRE) document ‘Site Layout Planning for Daylight and Sunlight: A guide to good practice’.