My neighbour just submitted a planning application

Rics logo

The Local Authority is required to consider daylight, sunlight and overshadowing

Whether your neighbour is a homeowner looking to extend their home, or a developer pursuing a larger development, you might be concerned about the impact this will have on your natural light. 

Fortunately, matters relating to daylight, sunlight and overshadowing (impacts on windows and gardens) are matters that the local planning authority is required to take into account when deciding on applications for planning permission.  Note also, that even if planning permission has been granted, your property might still be afforded further protection through a separate legal process protecting your right of light.

Services for those affected by development

If the application documents do not include a daylight and sunlight report, a good first step is to ask the local authority to insist that the applicant submits one.  The daylight, sunlight and overshadowing report should be undertaken in accordance with the Building Research Establishment (BRE) document “Site Layout Planning for Daylight and Sunlight: A guide to good practice)”.

If you have received notification of a planning application and are concerned about your light, please contact us today and we will review your case and advise whether or not we believe there’s a reasonable case to pursue.  We pride ourselves in giving honest and professional advice and will only take on your planning objection where there’s a reasonable prospect of success. 

Get in Touch Today!

Our right to light surveyors will be pleased help.

    Our Surveyors are ready to help you